Rat Poison

Rodenticide more commonly known as rat poison is often used as a common method for killing rats, mice and other rodents. Before you decide to set out poison, read this article and find out what the advantages and disadvantages of using it are.

Rats And Mice Are Not Easy To Kill With Poison

Rodents are notoriously hard to kill with poison because of the way they eat. Since they are scavengers their feeding habits have evolved to take into account this situation. Instead of biting into something and eating it like a cat or a dog would do, rodents nibble. They first nibble and then they wait to see if they will get sick or not. If they don’t get sick they will carry on nibbling. To kill either rats or mice, a rat posion must have the following characteristics:

  1. It must have a delayed effect so the rodent will continue to nibble.
  2. It must be tasteless and odorless
  3. It must be lethal in small doses.

Why I Don’t Suggest Using Rat Poison

I and many people like me believe that the best way to deal with a mouse problem, especially a house mouse rodent problem is through the usage of mouse traps and other preventative measures. Although poison may work to kill a mouse, it has problems which make it often unattractive to getting rid of house mice.

  1. Rat poison uses a delayed reaction. This is important because after the mouse eats the posion it will most probably not die in the place it ate the poison. This means that it could be back in it’s hiding place before it dies and if this is in some wall or crack that you can’t find or get to it will leave a horrible stink.
  2. Rat poison is dangerous to humans and other animals. If you have kids or pets around the home then I don’t advise you to use rat poison because it can be fatal to both animals and humans alike.